Friday, September 6, 2013

Try this, ok? Extending the life of Dawn Dish Soap







Yep! That's only one sink-ful!
Try this, ok? It is one way I stretch a buck.



A while back, I was thinking about what I spend money on. Things that recur in time and that I have to spend money on to take care of them, well...these really piss me off.

You know, it's laundry, dishes, trash, cooking, cleaning...


I have learned to make laundry soap and cleaning supplies. But today I'm going to share with you how I stretch what I do spend on washing dishes. It is not exactly non-toxic, but I have tried to wash my dishes with castile soap mixtures, and I agree that you should probably try that yourself first, if you really want to go the non-toxic route. But I miss the bubbles, and the no-nonsense, git-r-done clean of using Dawn dish soap. I've washed a few dishes in my lifetime, and have tried all kinds of dish soap, and always come back to Dawn.



So try this:

This is what you need:
  • 20 to 24 oz of Dawn *I like it for grease cutting.
  • 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda *baking soda works too
  • 1 empty gallon jug
Directions:
  1. Funnel borax and soda into gallon jug, fill jug with warm water about half way, then cover and shake it until all the crystals dissolve.
  2. Add all of the Dawn that you bought. Swirl it gently around to mix. Try to not make any bubbles. 
  3. Fill gallon jug up slowly the rest of the way with water. Again, try to avoid making bubbles so you can fill your jug.
  4. Pour some of your new mixture into the Dawn container to leave at your sink.
    Just refill your Dawn container as needed, and keep the rest in the gallon jug put up.
Voila! A gallon of dish soap. 

I have also used this as a stain prewash for laundry, especially on grease stains, and it works!

Thanks for reading! Best Wishes!
~~Mama Trep

No comments:

Post a Comment